This site puts cookies on your device to make it work better. By continuing to use our site, we’ll assume you’re okay with this. More about cookies
5 to 16 year olds
Eligibility for 5 to 16 year olds
Your child will qualify for free SEND school transport if they have a SEN statement or Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) and are attending the school allocated by the Local Authority, that meets their needs or a nearer qualifying school.
And the school is more than:
- 2 miles from where they live for primary age pupils (up to 11 years old)
- 3 miles from where they live for secondary age pupils (11 to 16 years old)
We will still consider your child for free SEND school transport if:
- you live less than 2 miles (for primary age pupils) or less than 3 miles (for secondary age pupils) from your allocated school
- they don’t have a SEN statement or EHCP but their sensory, physical, medical or behavioural difficulties stop them from getting to school even with help from a parent or carer
How to apply
If your child is starting at a special school and will be over 5 or under 16 on the 1st September 2016 you will need to complete the Transport Eligibility Assessment Form (TEAF).
We won’t be able to offer your child free transport if you don’t fill this in.
We may contact you to find out more about your child to make sure they get the most suitable transport.
If your child will be under 5 or over 16 on the 1 September 2016 please complete the Nursery/Further Education application form.
If your child is starting, or moving up to their next school, we will contact you if they are eligible. This does not apply to mid-term transfers.
You may need to give us more information to help us work out:
- whether your child is eligible for free transport to school
- what the best type of transport will be for your child
We may telephone you to find out more about your child to make sure they get the most suitable transport.
If you are eligible
We will usually contact you to tell you whether your child has free transport to school and what type of transport they’ll be using. We’ll send you the bus route, timetable and / or any other details about your child’s transport before the start of the autumn term.
If you’re not eligible
If your child does not qualify for free school transport, you can:
- ask us to check again if you think we’ve made a mistake
- make an appeal
If you are moving home you’ll need to complete the Transport Eligibility Assessment Form (TEAF).