Parents of children approaching school age are urged not to miss the closing date for places.
We're reminding people that if your child was born between 1 September 2012 and 31 August 2013, you need to apply for infant or primary schools by 15 January, and have published guidance to help.
Applications for children moving from infant to junior school also need to be sent in by the same date.
The top tips underline key things to consider:
- Apply on time – the closing date is 15 January, 2017 for first time admissions
- Apply online – this is secure and the easiest way to apply
- Use your right to apply for three choices of school, but make sure that one choice is always your catchment school
- Read each school’s admissions policy before making an application
- Remember to ensure that all of the information that you have supplied is correct and accurate before you submit it
- Check that you press the 'submit' button and receive an acknowledgement email
Starting school can be a stressful time and we’d urge parents to take five minutes to read the tips. To give your child the best chance of securing a place, we encourage parents to apply on time and online.Person:Councillor Ivan Ould, cabinet member for children and families
Starting school is not automatic and all parents need to apply.
Both processes, whether applying to start school for the first time or transferring from infant to junior schools, are the same for a local authority school or academies.
Online applicants will receive an email acknowledging receipt and be able to view the decision on 17 April, 2017. Parents can also apply by post.
To find out more, please visit our webpage, email email@example.com or call 0116 305 6684.