This site puts cookies on your device to make it work better. By continuing to use our site, we’ll assume you’re okay with this. More about cookies
Disagree with an Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plan
You can appeal to the First Tier Tribunal (Special Educational Needs and Disability) if you’re not happy with:
- the education part of your child’s EHC Plan
- our decision not to do an assessment
- our decision not to create an EHC Plan
Before you appeal
You'll need to get mediation advice before you can appeal to the tribunal.
You can get mediation advice from Global Mediation on 0800 064 4488. You won’t have to pay for this advice.
You don’t have to get mediation advice if your disagreement is about:
- the school or college named in your child’s EHC Plan
- the type of school or college - for example a specialist or mainstream school
- no school or college being named in your child’s EHC Plan
- a disability discrimination claim
After mediation advice
Once you’ve had mediation advice, you can decide whether or not you want to go to try mediation before making an appeal to the tribunal.
If you go to mediation
Global Mediation will refer you to mediation.
If you don’t go to mediation
Global Mediation will give you a certificate to show you’ve taken advice and considered mediation. You’ll need to send this certificate to the tribunal if you want to appeal.
Appeal to the Special Educational Needs and Disability Tribunal
Find out how to appeal to the tribunal